April 6, 2012

Savages: Lively's Career, Kitsch's Redemption, and Johnson's Dreads

Fans of the book have been salivating over the new trailer for Oliver Stone's Savages starring Taylor Kitsch, Aaron Johnson, and Blake Lively. The trailer looks cray and it does make me want to read the book, however, can we talk about Blake Lively for a minute? People are saying that this will launch her film career. Personally, I'm still on the fence with her acting ( a nice bod didn't get you Daisy in Great Gatsby) but her reactions to the crazy Latina fire that is Salma Hayek does give me some inkling that she will be good. 

I don't know a lot about Kitsch besides the fact that he is in Battleship opening in a few weeks and he starred in the failure of epic proportions, John Carter. My friends who have seen his work reassure me that he is good, so I will choose to believe that he will also fare well in this film (because I wouldn't put my money on Battleship.) Let's call Savages his come back from JC and the underwhelming looking Battleship. Oh! And  seeing Aaron Johnson all rasta'd and violent--pretty cool.

 I have no doubt that the cinematography is going to be excellent, which is what I expect from Stone's films. However, it could be so easy to accuse this film as overtly over compensating the sex, drugs, and violence to hide a bad script (not saying that's the case, but it's an example.) If they market this film strategically and wisely then Savages will do well. Heck, I can't wait to see it myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment